Paul's Puttin' Place has been a fixture at Nelson Park for over 25 years. But, at the end of the 2013 season, the 54 holes of miniature golf fun will close for good.... fading into Decatur's history.
A few facts about Paul's Puttin' Place:
- the courses were designed and operated for 26 years by Festus Paul
- many of the holes are designed to resemble musical instruments (Festus was a music strategist for the Decatur School District)
- Paul's is located on the site of Joyland Amusement Park, which closed in 1975
- the original course (18 holes) opened on April 25, 1981
- Paul's has been expanded twice - 1982 & 1984
- the courses were successfully rebuilt after being severely damaged by the tornado of 1996
- the final day of operation for Paul's Puttin' Place will be September 29, 2013
The photos below were taken in August 2013. Since Festus retired from operating Paul's, the attraction has been poorly maintained by the Decatur Park District, especially in this final year of operation. Much of the beauty and love that Festus poured into Paul's is long gone.